Tuesday 27 April 2010

Hairy Dragonfly Emerging


I went back to Southfield Farm Marsh again hoping to photograph some of the Large Reds. They were still playing hard to get and I didn't manage a single shot. However, I did find this emerging Hairy Dragonfly. Sorry about the poor picture - she was so low down among the reeds that this was the best I could get without ruining my work clothes (not great to go to a 1400hrs meeting covered in smelly pond mud!). I have seen Hairys here before, but never been able to prove breeding until now. I bumped into someone who told me that our friend John Showers, who was busy Hoverfly hunting, had seen an Azure Damselfly here earlier. I didn't see it though. Looking at the BDS Hot News page, this is the first Hairy seen this year and with the Azure we have the highest number of recorded species so far this year!