Monday 1 July 2013

Sightings update to 1 July

Over the last week or two a number of interesting sightings have emerged:

Darryl Sutcliffe has recorded good numbers of Beautiful Demoiselle on the upper reaches of the Brampton Valley Way. Back in 2009, I predicted that they would start to colonise the river here as it has an aspect very similar to their traditional territory on the River Tove near Towcester.

David Warner has recorded Beautiful Demoiselles on the streams at Harlestone Heath for the second year - a good sign that they are establishing colonies there too. There is a direct connection to the Brampton Valley Way! David also recorded a single male at Salcey Forest.

Mark Piper and Nick Roberts recorded Hairy Dragonflies at Collyweston Bridge on the River Welland. This is the first record here.

From my side there have been good numbers of Scarce Chasers at Wadenhoe, Warmington and Fotheringhay (the site of my first County records in 2005). The photos below show a male at territory and after he caught a female - it is the same male in both photos.


 

At Old Sulehay quarry, I saw my first Black-tailed Skimmer of the year. This species is becoming scarce along the Nene Valley and other sites now offer better habitats. Also present were 3 Broad-bodied Chaser, many Common Blue Damselflies, a single Emperor and my first Brown Hawker (also seen by the Terry & Judy Woods at Castle Ashby).


 
 
Travelling outside of our County, I visited Paxton Pits in Cambridgeshire after the exciting news of the discovery that the Norfolk Hawker has established a breeding colony there after sightings over the last few years. This site is so close to us that they may yet find their way here, however I know of no sites in Northants that has water soldier - the plant that is linked to this species. If anyone knows of a site please keep a watch out. Here's my best in flight shot from my visit.