Monday 2 June 2014

Variable Damselflies, Banded Demoiselles and Scarce Chasers

I made my regular trip to Maxey Pits on Sunday, to see the Variable Damselflies. There were over 30 present with many pairs ovipositing. Unfortunately, the sun is at the wrong angle for decent photographs in the morning, but I managed a decent record shot. For photography, this site is best visited in the afternoon. Also present were many Azures, Blue-tailed Damselflies and Four-spotted Chasers including two ovipositing. A couple of Hairys flew around too. 

I moved on to Wadenhoe, where I was astonished by the number of Banded Demoiselles. There must have been 1000+, in fact so many that they were sharing territories. Scarce Chasers were, as their name suggests scarce, with only 5 in evidence, including two that looked like they'd emerged that morning. Apart from a few Red-eyed Damselflies on the lily pads, there were no other species in evidence, or was I overwhelmed by the number of Demoiselles?

Male Variable Damselfly

Male Banded Demoiselle


Immature Male Scarce Chaser

Male Scarce Chaser