Friday 19 October 2018

Willow Emeralds still at it.

I met up with Ross and Michelle from Froglife while they were clearing the pond at Finedon. After a good chat, I was able to show them the Willow Emerald egg scars, and we were lucky enough to find a single adult. When I finished lunch and they had left, I surveyed he willow trees and found two more males and a mating pair, who promptly went to on egg lay higher up in the tree - I managed a great shot with the blue sky behind. It was a shame that Ross & Michelle didn't see this, but at least they know what to look for when they manage other ponds in the region. The only other species present was Common Darter. The willows are looking a little bear of leaves now which perhaps mades the adults easier to find. I found more egg scars too, so it looks good for 2019 with plenty of eggs due to hatch.