Saturday 18 May 2019

Three new species in mid May

Quite a week this week, as the weather got better with three new species seen around the County.

Four Scarce Chasers were seen by James Underwood at Barnwell Country Park, along with many Banded Demoiselles, Hairys and the usual damselflies. My early morning trip to the Nene on the 14th failed to find any emerging Chasers, and as it happens I was one day out. I returned on 6th and found three Scarce Chaser exuviae and 1 just about to emerge as I had to leave for work.

James has been very lucky this year with his first sightings, and to add to his record, he photographed White-legged Damselflies on the brook at Weldon. This is about 2 weeks earlier than normal.

I picked up a photo on the Northamptonshire Nature facebook page of an immature male Beautiful Demoiselle, seen near Duston in Northampton. Time to check the Brampton Valley Way next week.

I photographed Large Reds emerging many times, but this I have struggled to find any. However, I haven't before photographed another damselfly until this week, when I found this Azure just about to hatch.  

A quick walk along the Nene by Thrapston Sailing Club showed 2 Scarce Chasers, including the male shown below which has already lost part of his wing and numerous Banded Demoiselles and Red-eyed Damselflies.







Male Scarce Chaser at Thrapston