Sunday 17 May 2015

Four-spotted Chasers

I found my first Four-spotted Chaser exuvia and a single emerging adult at Ditchford on 15th. Several Hairys were emerging too. I haven't yet seen a Hairy at territory, so it can't be far off.

I don't often go round to the second lake as it doesn't have quite as many species as the meadow lake, however I am glad I did as I disturbed 100+ emerging Common Blues. The meadow lake has been slow to yield Common Blues this year, and I have only seen a handful at a time, so it was great to see so many coming out. Also, two Hairy exuvia. Lots of Red-eyes too, including some taking up territory on floating vegetation.

I took a walk around Wilson's Pits on 17th. I am concerned about the future of this site now that the Rushden Lakes development has been given the go-ahead, but know that the Wildlife Trust are consulting on the project. I have even offered some photos for interpretation boards. Work has already started and many hedges have been removed from the Skew bridge side. At least it will stop the fly tippers. Anyway, Wilson's Pits is always good for Azure Damselflies at this time in May. Numbers have declined here in the last 10 years, probably because some of the shallow waters have been lost to succession. On my visit, there were around 50 Azures, several Red-eyes, Common Blues, one Hairy and one female Broad-bodied Chaser.  

Female Hairy Dragonfly

Teneral Common Blue Damselfly

Four-spotted Chaser

Immature Male Azure Damselfly

Female Broad-bodied Chaser