Thursday 14 May 2015

River Nene at Wadenhoe

I took a walk along the Nene at Wadenhoe, one of my favourite sites. It's a little early for Scarce Chasers - perhaps nearer 18th-23rd May, but there were around 30 Banded Demoiselles in attendance and a few Large Red Damselflies. Surprisingly, I came across a recently emerged male Broad-bodied Chaser. I don't know of any suitable shallow ponds near here so am unsure where it came from.

As BBCs are now emerging, I stopped off at Twywell on the way to work this morning and visited the Whitestones Ponds. The small Chaser pond (as I call it) is completely dried up, so I am not expecting anything to emerge from it as the compacted mud must make it impossible for larva to crawl out. The middle pond still has a good water level, hopefully enough to support the larvae. I couldn't find any exuviae, but than that doesn't mean too much as I don't exactly have a great track record of finding BBC exuvia.

Male Banded Demoiselle

Male Broad-bodied Chaser

Female Banded Demoiselle

Female Large Red Damselfly