Wednesday 23 May 2018

Two more species appear

Over the last week, Beautiful Demoiselle have been recorded in the Norton area, near Daventry. This is a potential new site for them, but is quite close to a known site near Long Buckby (about 3km), so it's possible they have spread to some of the other streams around here (thanks Bee Jackson).

Tony Vials reports seeing our first Black-tailed Skimmers at Bedford Purlieus, but as there is little water here I suspect they came from the nearby Yarwell Quarry which is an excellent site for them.

We took a cruise up the Nene from Oundle to Fotheringhay on 20 May, and I counted dozens of emerging Scarce Chaser - I could see them taking first flights or perched above their exuvia. The river also had 50+ Hairy Dragonflies hawking around the margins over the same route, again with exuviae visible.

My favourite Scarce Chaser sites at Lilford and Wadenhoe have been producing more Chasers, where I stalked 6 into the buttercup meadow. I have been visiting Lilford every morning looking for emergees, and have recorded a few, along with some beautiful dew-covered Demoiselles. Scarce Chaser tend to emerge from around 0700hrs, so you have to get there early - fortunately I can go on my way to work. 

Julia Rushton sent some shots to our facebook group of a large emergence of Common Blue Damselflies seen from the boardwalk at the new Rushden Lake shopping complex.

Finally, I visited Finedon Pocket Park and found it to be flooded after the extensive winter rains. That didn't stop 12 Broad-bodied Chasers buzz around along with Large Reds, Azures, Four-spotted Chasers and a single Hairy Dragonfly. Most of the Willows that contain Willow Emerald eggs are now submerged and I am a little concerned that this has harmed the eggs. I'll check with Adrian Parr of the British Dragonfly Society.


Female Banded Demoiselle, River Nene Lilford

Male Broad-bodied Chaser, Finedon Pocket Park

Female Broad Bodied Chaser, Finedon Pocket Park


Emerging Scarce Chaser, River Nene Lilford