Sunday 18 May 2014

A big week for new species

After about 10 days of cool, rainy and windy weather, a break with some sunshine an warmth had a big impact, with 6 new species emerging between 14 May and 17 May.

On 14 May, Chris Emary reported seeing this year's first Beautiful Demoiselle on the River Tove at Greens Norton. On the same day, Freddie Ingall and Alison Lowe found 4 immature Scarce Chasers on the River Nene at Titchmarsh Nature Reserve.

On 15 May, Chris saw a pair of Broad-bodied Chasers at Greens Norton.

On 16 May Chris found White-legged Damselflies on the River Nene at Upron Mill near Rothersthorpe.

I visited a few sites over the weekend and found 20+ emerging Four-spotted Chasers and 30+ emerging Downy Emeralds at their only site in the County. A visit to the Nene at Lilford failed to find any Scarce Chasers, although I popped to Twywell and found 1 male Broad-bodied Chaser. I have been searching the Whitestones Ponds for the last three weeks of so and failed to find any emerging Broad-bodied Chasers, so I am at a loss to know how I missed this one! This is one species I vowed learn more about this year, but I remain in the dark about where it emerges.

Downy Emerald emerging

Downy Emerald emerging

Four-spotted Chaser